Skip to main content

I'm turning 30! Dad, I need you.





  As I sit here by myself, with the electric fireplace glowing in the background, I think, “I can’t believe I’m going to be thirty next month.”  March 16th to be exact.  I’m going to be a thirty year old woman like the woman acting in the Hallmark movie I’m watching.  A new adventure awaits me as I stand atop the thirty year old mountain.  As I overlook the adventurous summit, there is a pinnacle peak missing, my dad.  I will be traveling emerald roads and picking fresh flowers without his guidance.  What would he think of me now?  Would he be proud of the woman I’m becoming?  What godly words would he have spoken at this time in my life?

My twenties stampeded by like a band of Mustangs over the plains of Montana.  I remember turning twenty-one two seconds ago and taking a picture with my dad.  Snap!  Click!  Memory day branded.  That was the last year I would see my dad in pictures.  Dad, you’re supposed to be here to help me through life.  I need you.  When my dad was sick with Cancer, he fluffed up this pillow of comfort, “I’m your earthly dad, but God is your Heavenly Father.”  So, even though, my dad isn’t imprinted in photos anymore, he’s imprinted in my heart.  My heavenly Father will never leave or forsake me.  He is right by my voided side.

You can tell my dad was a giant encourager, as big as the Red Woods.  I’m scared about turning thirty.  I don’t feel old, but the number feels like a hurdle.  I know he’d probably say something like, “Ah! You’re beautiful and you’re still a youngin’!”  He was born and raised in Louisiana.  He was a Southern man that used Southern words.  I’m sure he’d also say, “You’re only as old as you feel.”  He always knew what to say to make you feel better.  Just at the right glimmering moment, a Bible verse would be recited by my dad.  It would light on your heart like a Monarch butterfly.  Your heart would suddenly feel at peace and your mind floating on a pristine lake.  Thank you, Dad, even though, you’re not here.  You left a legacy of strength and I will strap that strength to my hiking backpack. 

As I walk down God’s path, what will be behind the Oak tree?  What will I discover beyond the glistening river?  We plan our ways, but God directs our steps.  As I step by the “Next Chapter River”, it reflects only my face and not my dad’s.  I have to keep “going boldly”, as my dad would say.  I was blessed to have him grace my life for 21 years.  He molded me into the woman I am today.  My faith in God will keep my steps steady as I stroll over the “Thirties Bridge”.  He’d say, “Go, girl, go!”  Well, here I go, without you.  Every milestone, I will miss my dad.  This is just one of many.  So, brazenly I go, without my dad’s hand to hold mine.  God is my true Father and I have to trust Him.            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Warrior

    Everyone goes through trials and tribulations, even unbelievers.   The Bible says, “He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” Matthew 5:45.   I’ve been through the ‘loss trial’.   I lost my dad over 8 years ago and that feeling of hurt broke my ‘feeling bones’ and broke my heart.   My heart is wounded and my soul is scarred.   The journey of grief made me a stronger woman in the Lord.   It was a long, tiresome path to regularity and a different happiness.   My dad was the rock of our family, but we have to remember God is our true rock. He is our deliverer from pain and suffering.   Dads on this vapor-like earth are for a moment in time.   We have to remember God is our heavenly, everlasting Father.   I have also felt the ‘abandonment tribulation’.   No, my mom and dad didn’t leave me on a cold doorstep, but many people on t...

Pine Heart Roots

  On a Friday afternoon, I packed the car and my mom and I drove down Sea Blue Lane.   Our destination was Pine Prairie, Louisiana.   Wheels rolled down blacktop while music notes rocked and rolled through the Malibu.   We sped through Lafayette and entered “Country Land”.   As I passed by horses, my eyes lit up with little girl joy, as usual.   Cows grazed as clouds speckled their backs.   The bayous were fading behind us as pine trees started to grow in their place.   The scenery was refreshing, renewing our minds with fresh crawfish waters.   We finally arrived at my cousin, Dana’s house and parked upon O’Banion territory.   I needed to strip my bark of “stress needles” and regrow peace around my “pine heart”.       I was feeling distant from my dad.   Year after year, the roughness I once felt on his hand was smoothing.   He is branded in my heart, but I needed that brand to be lit under fire ...

Fight the Good Fight

  It was a sunny, peaceful day in small town Marysville, Michigan till we got that heart-wrenching call, "Your husband's cancer has returned and it has spread."  My mom, with a calming hand, put a grocery item in the basket and turned to me, as if I was her salvation. "Brandy, your dad's cancer has come back."  Those dreadful words stung my heart.  Suddenly, the grocery store that my family and I were shopping in, began to darken with gloom.  "I felt like I was in a tunnel." my mom said, recalling that life-changing day.  The beast has come to ravage our family again.  It was time to “fight the good fight” one more time.   "Finding a way, where there is no way"   My dad, an Irish warrior, put on his armor of strength and faith.  He was ready to battle, he was ready to win, God-willing.  Even though, the Oncologist at the John D. Dingell VA Medical Center told my mom that chemotherapy and radiation woul...