Skip to main content

Final Recital





Final Recital

  The stage was set for ballerinas and beyond.  The crowds were filling the red seats as butterflies filled my stomach.  The lights were dim, but skimmed the wooden stage.  I rehearsed and searched for courage.  In my mind: plie, arabesque, balancé, don’t forget to turn and gracefully sway.  My nerves danced inside me like the dancers spinning across the platform.  I was trimmed with a flowy dress that fluttered so lightly when I moved.  My heartbeat was jumping like a prima ballerina in New York.  What soothed my fear was the air of my family in the crowd.  They sat amongst the dark aisle mindfully cheering for their fair dancer.  Blush shoes refined my balancing feet.  Showtime!  Poise and smile!

The music flowed from curtain throughout theatre.  Swish, Swish!  Good dance, wish upon a star lamp.  My dance partner’s brute strength lifted me into the air.  I was a robin upon a branch for a moment, looking at the auditorium below.  Tip-toe-tip-toe.  Finesse fingers and arms bloomed like a flower.  Elegance exuded through delicate hand.  My dad in the shadowy distance, watched with “That’s my daughter. She’s dancer perfect.” favor.  My mom looked over at his wonderment face.  Tears brimmed his eyes, glazing his view.   Sentiment and love welled for his center stage daughter.  My dad was my center stage man.  Observing eyes kept watch till the last curtsey.  I spun backstage.  “Bravos!” and approving claps bid me leave.  I could breathe!

I skipped to meet and greet my family.   Hugs were given like wrapped tutus.  “Good jobs” sashayed through the hall.  My dad approached with red rose in hand.  “You were the best one up there!” I tended to disagree.  I haven’t danced in years.  He was as sweet pink as my ballet shoes.  At that moment, I did not know this would be his last recital he would adorn.  My crimson rose marked final teary-eyed recital.  My dad, ascended stage left the next year.  My dance agent, my fond fan attended his “final recital” night.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Warrior

    Everyone goes through trials and tribulations, even unbelievers.   The Bible says, “He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” Matthew 5:45.   I’ve been through the ‘loss trial’.   I lost my dad over 8 years ago and that feeling of hurt broke my ‘feeling bones’ and broke my heart.   My heart is wounded and my soul is scarred.   The journey of grief made me a stronger woman in the Lord.   It was a long, tiresome path to regularity and a different happiness.   My dad was the rock of our family, but we have to remember God is our true rock. He is our deliverer from pain and suffering.   Dads on this vapor-like earth are for a moment in time.   We have to remember God is our heavenly, everlasting Father.   I have also felt the ‘abandonment tribulation’.   No, my mom and dad didn’t leave me on a cold doorstep, but many people on t...

Pine Heart Roots

  On a Friday afternoon, I packed the car and my mom and I drove down Sea Blue Lane.   Our destination was Pine Prairie, Louisiana.   Wheels rolled down blacktop while music notes rocked and rolled through the Malibu.   We sped through Lafayette and entered “Country Land”.   As I passed by horses, my eyes lit up with little girl joy, as usual.   Cows grazed as clouds speckled their backs.   The bayous were fading behind us as pine trees started to grow in their place.   The scenery was refreshing, renewing our minds with fresh crawfish waters.   We finally arrived at my cousin, Dana’s house and parked upon O’Banion territory.   I needed to strip my bark of “stress needles” and regrow peace around my “pine heart”.       I was feeling distant from my dad.   Year after year, the roughness I once felt on his hand was smoothing.   He is branded in my heart, but I needed that brand to be lit under fire ...

Don’t let others Negotiate your Marriage

My husband and I have been married for two blissful years.  Within our years of matrimony, we are learning that outside sources can belittle your bliss. Those sources can also tense your bond, and cause your marriage braid to fray. Do NOT let that happen! Put up blockades and set boundaries to stop traffic of tension within your romantic realm.  Outside sources that negotiate your marriage: Immediate family that negotiates the peace treaty within your marriage and causes chaos. Friends that cling to you or your spouse, negotiating unwanted attention. Activities or groups that negotiate the quality time spent with your spouse. Sinful acts that splutter red ink upon the sanctity of the marriage contract. Foreign frivolities can dampen the treaty of your marriage that you have negotiated with your husband or wife. Outside sources can wet the paper and tear at your hearts causing arguments. Do NOT let that happen!  Distance yourself from family (but...