Skip to main content

Knight-Light





“Knight-Light”

  One “knight-light” evening on the Ponderosa, my dad and I chose “First Knight” as our movie delight.  “Want to watch ‘First Knight, Dad?” I said with enjoyment.  I loved romance movies, I mean, what girl doesn’t?  My dad loved all types of movies from romance to action and adventure.  Yes! My dad liked romance!  He was a whimsical, romantic soul.  His pure heart was my mom’s, and my mom’s alone.  My dad’s dapper 1940’s soul flowed into his talk. With suit and tie and his hair slicked back, he resembled Clark Gable.  His stride took on noble Ben Cartwright from “Bonanza”.  My dad was my movie buddy, my “escape the world for two hours” comrade.

My dad and I rarely talked during a movie.  He would be so enthralled, that you’d have to call his name over 10 times to get his mighty attention.  “Dad, dad, dad…”  He finally uttered loudly, “What?”  I’d sometimes look over at my bearded daddy to see if he was awake.  I’d ask faintly, “Dad, are you awake?”  His eyes were barely open, squinting, peering at the brightness.  He’d lightly say, “Yeah.”  I wanted to make sure my “flick side-kick” was seated at the “round table” with me.  I wanted to make sure we were trotting through the gate, dismounting on the streets of Camelot.  We were both on a journey with King Arthur and Lancelot leading the brigade.

The stars now dangled outside the sliding door window a top the roof.  The moon slightly placed just under the Southern-made porch.  Our eyes still open, but tarrying footsteps through the Ponderosa coming to a close.  “First Knight” was at a pinnacle climax.  Guinevere arrives in Camelot on a blackened royal night.  The carriage arrives with elegant lady.  The door gently opens to her sovereign destiny.  Her eyes are lit with torches leading to her stately king.  Brave knights lined on left and right, welcoming her grace.  King Arthur and Guinevere meet, bonds of fondness are made.  Fairness sifts through the smoke.  “I want that for you one day, Brandy.” My dad said with aspiration.  What a revering notation to the loving daydream he wanted for my life.  These words that poised over living room gave me hope in sought soulmate.  What tenderness for a daughter on a “Knight-light” movie night.          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Warrior

    Everyone goes through trials and tribulations, even unbelievers.   The Bible says, “He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” Matthew 5:45.   I’ve been through the ‘loss trial’.   I lost my dad over 8 years ago and that feeling of hurt broke my ‘feeling bones’ and broke my heart.   My heart is wounded and my soul is scarred.   The journey of grief made me a stronger woman in the Lord.   It was a long, tiresome path to regularity and a different happiness.   My dad was the rock of our family, but we have to remember God is our true rock. He is our deliverer from pain and suffering.   Dads on this vapor-like earth are for a moment in time.   We have to remember God is our heavenly, everlasting Father.   I have also felt the ‘abandonment tribulation’.   No, my mom and dad didn’t leave me on a cold doorstep, but many people on t...

Pine Heart Roots

  On a Friday afternoon, I packed the car and my mom and I drove down Sea Blue Lane.   Our destination was Pine Prairie, Louisiana.   Wheels rolled down blacktop while music notes rocked and rolled through the Malibu.   We sped through Lafayette and entered “Country Land”.   As I passed by horses, my eyes lit up with little girl joy, as usual.   Cows grazed as clouds speckled their backs.   The bayous were fading behind us as pine trees started to grow in their place.   The scenery was refreshing, renewing our minds with fresh crawfish waters.   We finally arrived at my cousin, Dana’s house and parked upon O’Banion territory.   I needed to strip my bark of “stress needles” and regrow peace around my “pine heart”.       I was feeling distant from my dad.   Year after year, the roughness I once felt on his hand was smoothing.   He is branded in my heart, but I needed that brand to be lit under fire ...

Don’t let others Negotiate your Marriage

My husband and I have been married for two blissful years.  Within our years of matrimony, we are learning that outside sources can belittle your bliss. Those sources can also tense your bond, and cause your marriage braid to fray. Do NOT let that happen! Put up blockades and set boundaries to stop traffic of tension within your romantic realm.  Outside sources that negotiate your marriage: Immediate family that negotiates the peace treaty within your marriage and causes chaos. Friends that cling to you or your spouse, negotiating unwanted attention. Activities or groups that negotiate the quality time spent with your spouse. Sinful acts that splutter red ink upon the sanctity of the marriage contract. Foreign frivolities can dampen the treaty of your marriage that you have negotiated with your husband or wife. Outside sources can wet the paper and tear at your hearts causing arguments. Do NOT let that happen!  Distance yourself from family (but...